Pages

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Altered Can - Owl Graduate

This is as a graduation present. We usually give money but I wanted a different way to 'wrap it up'. I filled this up with Skittles and a check. What more could a graduate ask for? Someone had told me about altering these pop-top cans and I thought it was a great idea. You have to use one of those can-openers that kind of lays on top of the can and cuts it off without leaving the sharp edges. I think they are called safety openers. So you remove the top and the label and wash it out real well.
I wrapped it with card stock that I had stamped Congratulations on with Versamark and heat embossed with clear embossing powder. I put together this cute little owl with several different punches, about 10 I think. I've seen several different versions of the punch art owl on SCS and other blogs but of course I had to tweak it 'cause I hardly ever CASE something exactly. Gotta put my own spin on it!
So let's see if I can remember all of the punches, I did this back in June. The hat is just a square that I cut and the Keytag punch that retired in June. It has a square brad with embroidery floss for the tassel. The head is two Round Tab punches layered with a 3/4", 1/2", and a small circle punch for the eyes. I'm not sure what size the black is for the eyes. The body is made from a large circle and the Wide Oval punch. The wings are 3 layers of the Scallop Circle punch, feet are from the Heart to Heart punch and the beak is from one of my favorite punches, the 5 Petal. Was that ten? I think that is a record even for me! Hope you all like it!

3 comments:

  1. Too Cute, Laura! Ten punches??!! WOW! It was worth the effort though! I just may case what I can see!!

    Oh, and welcome back!!

    Mel (Melsbasket)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is adorable! What a great idea for a punch class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This little guy is just adorable. I'm definitely going to have to CASE him.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment, I love to know what you think!